50 years of pride!

NID, A-Hostel.

Today, it is 50 years of the LGBT movement.

It was July 2009. We had just had our dinner. We used to go to the hostel terrace for our post-dinner discussions. These used to be easy and laid-back. These post discussions used to be like the night breeze. There were no deadlines, no tensions, just the victorious feeling of the breeze entering your hair. There would be no questions , only answers. I used to love this part of the post-dinner conversations.

We were a group of 3-4 young men and we had just started getting to know each other, through these discussions. We did not know that these conversations would make us the men we would be after ten years.
It was one of those nights, and it seemed everyone was busy in the studios. Not many people had come back. It was just a friend of mine who had come to the terrace for the breeze.

We continued talking and out of nowhere, he said that he is gay! I was shocked because I did not know hoe to react. I was straight and I always will be, but this whole system of coming out of the closet was new for me. He was like a good friend of mine, so it was a very new feeling for me. As I moved ahead in life from that hostel terrace conversation I made many friends, both girls and boys, who were gay or lesbians and all of them were friends.

Some took time to get out of the closet, and others did not. But I was always cool about people's choices. I have never had anything against them. In fact, I realised the unity that this class displayed was awesome. The LGBT community grew and it has been amazing to see them perform so well. I don't like it when people are against them with stubborn thought processes. It is important for us to grow as a society and talk about this topic with the kids.

Don't make them gay, but we need to talk to them that such phenomena exist around us. These people would not be some else. They would be someone from us. We need to make our next generation  sensible men and women. When the law gives them section 377, who are we to create this huge divide.

So, when I look back at the friend who told me that he is gay, I feel privileged to know that I have a friend like that. Congratulating people on the 50 years of the glorious LGBT movement. Cheers :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPILY EVER AFTER...

The TEA garden visit!

Memories of my 'Chhote Mama'!