The Discovery of 'Me'!

I have been talking about how has this phase of the lockdown pushed me back into getting to know my culture and in turn, know me! But in this Saturday's latest post, I will be analysing about what was this whole idea of 'MY' culture.

As a class 6th student, I was very excited when I read about the the Indus Valley civilisation or the Harappa Culture for the first time in my history book. I was so fascinated by listening to stories of Mohan Jo-daro and Lothal. I always wanted to know more about that culture, which I thought was lost. 

I thought I will read more about  history, as I grow up. But my society did not want me to take up history after class tenth. All my teachers and counsellors said, that I was a so-called 'BRIGHT' student and they pushed me into taking science with maths. I liked Biology too. So I went with the flow. 

I finished class 12th and got my engineering seat and the dental seat, but that was definitely not my dream (I must be honest here, I could not clear the medical entrance, but I am grateful, I did not!). I had my options in front of me, so I chucked all of them and got into Journalism. 

To cut a long story short,  I finished my media studies, I got through to reach an esteemed Design college in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. Though I was happy about all that, but I wanted to explore and see Mohan Jodaro, as I thought I was closer to it. But to my dismay, I found out that Mohan Jodaro was in Pakistan!

But my happiness knew no bounds when I realised that Lothal was in Gujarat. 

One random weekend, I packed my bags and left for this 5000 year old town of Lothal. Obviously, I saw nothing there. I did see what was drawn in my class 6th history book. I saw the Harappan bricks. I was blown apart.

(The railway platform at Lothal)

(The board which declared that it was the same place as I thought!)

(The wells and architecture)
(The 5000 year old structure)




Though I saw all this, but I was just sad that why did such a beautiful civilisation disappear. I was sad. As time passed , I lived and travelled in different cities. 

It was only when I landed in this 'Lockdown-era' that I was introduced to an act which this culture had passed on to me- the age old act of YOGA!

I never realised that this civilisation never disappeared. It was right here, in every moment of my life, unknowingly. I was a part of this beautiful civilisation. Things like Ayurveda, Yoga and my chantings were straight from this civilisation's teachings.

I must make an important point here. My culture was never anti-Muslim, or anti-any other religion. In fact, the term 'Hindu' was never a Hindu term. It was a term given by the colonisers of this country. It was actually called 'Sanatan Dharma'. Hinduism was never a religion, it has always been considered as a way of living. A set of rules, which this civilisation followed about 5,000 years ago.

A religion which believed in the whole concept of one universal family and world peace. Things like caste-system came up later and spoilt it.

During this lockdown and the Corona times, I have realised that I have been an age-old 'Sanatan Dharmik' guy, who followed all the older rules given by the Harappa Culture. All my chantings are making me strong as an individual.

As I improve my Yoga skills everyday, I thank the Universe.

AUM :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPILY EVER AFTER...

The TEA garden visit!

Memories of my 'Chhote Mama'!