My Time Travel!

9:45 am, Jorhat. Dulumoni ji got me my first cup of 'Laal-chai' (Black tea) and I started sipping it with ease. This is one of the few things which life in north-east has started teaching me. I am grateful!
I have always loved reading books which take me to an era which I have always like to live. This era had always fascinated me. Though I would not imagine myself to be one of the heroes. I would imagine was during the time when the British ruled in India. I would always imagine myself as a third person, who would have a normal job during the times. I am presently reading this book:
This third person could have been a mute spectator, in the form of a cycle rickshaw puller, or a small shop owner, who has all the time in the world to look at the things happening. Now, as I read the book and know about the British officers establishing themselves in the Indian sub-continent, I come to the present and look at myself. We are presently in the beautiful north-east, appointed by the government of India. I am loving the weather, loving the unexplored places, and most importantly, I am loving the people.
It is here that I find this stunning similarity with the British officers long ago. Although the British personnel were unkind and were just acting on the British government. But I am sure, not all British officers were unkind, as the movies show. Though the present Indian government is not as unkind like the later British governments, but I see a striking similarity between the locals (whom the Britishers referred to as 'NATIVES') and us. I am in Assam and I love it. In fact, I have travelled to Nagaland, Meghalaya and Arunachal too and they are equally beautiful, if not more.
I am sure in the 90's the situation with the naxalism, things were in the north-east were not as good. It is during that time, we could easily compare our condition with the British era. Now things are as good as they could be. I also believe this is the biggest difference between the Brishers and me. As things are peaceful and happy, I need to learn the languages and admire the beauty. Unlike the British, I need to enjoy every bit of the native life and taste the native vegetables. Afterall, this is what is beautiful.
I need to realise that no ne, is no one's slave. We are all equal! I got back to sipping my lal-chai as my day began!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPILY EVER AFTER...

The TEA garden visit!

Memories of my 'Chhote Mama'!