A desert story


9:30 pm, Bajju, Rajasthan.

I was feeling trapped in the Delhi clouds. The clouds were of pollution, of confusion and of pressure I was not liking. I had started doing theatre, but somehow I wanted to do something deeper. I had always admired nature, but never experienced it as close as I wanted to.

I had always been somewhat a free soul, a free bird, but I guess I was not getting space to fly.
It was very sudden, very random, and I packed my bags to Rishikesh. I somehow liked it. I had started enjoying the concept of self-exploration. I
was enjoying the process. I came back home to Gurgaon and on the internet I met an old friend online, who was working in the Thar desert. I asked her about the job. She asked me for a weekend's visit. Keeping my fingers crossed, I left to see the work-place.
The desert was not a new place for me, but had never been there for a job. I had been called there for a film-maker's post. Adding to this, I would also do a teacher's, a theatre person's and a development person's work.

It sounded interesting to me as it had every element of work I wanted to do. Very soon, I escaped from the urban life. I reached this village called 'Bajju' in Rajasthan. This was pretty close to the Indo-Pak border.
The first thing which I loved about this place was the pure air, despite the sand around. At night, there were no lights around and I looked up just by chance. I saw the beautiful night sky, I had seen in the planetarium once in the sky. I was amazed at the raw beauty. That night, my feet were in the cold sand, with the amazing sight of the stars. At that point in my life, I knew that this is the place I was looking for!


Today I am loving the place with my new quarter (a hut, I share with a co-employee, Moti), a lovely chai every morning at 6 am. I am loving the surprising journeys to new villages, to teach the women SHG's (Self Help Groups).

In every sense of the word, peace.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HAPPILY EVER AFTER...

The TEA garden visit!

Memories of my 'Chhote Mama'!